Friday, March 17, 2017

Week 11: Day 5 - March 17, 2017

  • hilly trail run (solo) part 1 = 3.67 miles; time = 43.32; average pace @ 11:52
  • hilly trail run (solo) part 2 = 1.1 miles; time = 14:40; average pace @ 13:20
  • easy walk with dogs = 2.6 miles
  • bike ride (training) = 13.17 miles; time = 1:19:25; average pace @ 10 mph
My work scheduled changed a little bit. I now work on Thursday mornings and off on Fridays. I'm not really happy about this. So instead of running yesterday, I did my runs this morning and both runs were without my dog. First run was at a local junior college, but there was cattle on one trail. It seemed easier to run alone, surrounded by cattle than run with a dog. I'm already slightly afraid of cows, but my dog and I become more afraid when we run together surrounded by them. While I think they wouldn't do anything, they also look horrified to be near a dog!

I finally figured out how to determine a "grade" (how steep) on a hill now. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I downloaded Strava app on my phone. I used it on one ride many weeks ago. I think I never used it again after that because I got lazy. Out of curiosity, I check the data on the ride like the grade (%) of the hill and it showed up as 7 %. So I used Strava on my ride today. The route that I'm using as training because of the "mountain" has a 9.5 %! Now I know what a 9% grade feels like on a bike. The 30 mile ride that I'm doing for "Finish The Ride" event has a 9% grade....but the event ride has two major hills that I have to conquer! Both are roughly about 1,300 feet (give or take) max elevation gain with a 9% grade for each hill. I suppose if I really want to get crazy, I'll do the same hill twice in the same ride. I'm scared, but it's the only way to train for two major hills with a 9% grade.

I could have been faster on the bike training, but I had bad timing with the eating and I got weak.

Speaking of riding, I will be riding/commuting to work by bike tomorrow. I had been working a full day (8am to 5pm) every Saturday for many months, but my hours got cut and I'm working half day on Saturdays now. It is not because I'm being bad. Because my boss hired new people recently, my boss wants to make it fair to everyone to work on the weekends. It's time for me to look for a new job since I don't like my current work schedule. I think it's time to get a new job...I don't like my new schedule and I'm at the point that I don't want to be where I'm at anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment