- easy walk with dogs = 2.5 miles
- bike commute to work = 32 miles total; time = 2:25:16; pace @ 13.2 mph
If I choose to go the entire distance between work and home bike, there is a street or road between the mall and home that I wish to avoid riding on in the dark when going home because it is dangerous and I fear that I will get hit by a speeding car with a careless driver. It is dark (no street lights), narrow two lanes (one lane for each direction and not wide enough for cars and bikes), no bike lanes or sidewalk or shoulder and lots of curves/turns/windy. I left work way later than I wanted (7:30pm). To avoid riding on said dangerous street, I had to ride to the mall and catch the bus to avoid bike riding on this street. The bus won't get me all the way home, but close enough. Also, because I left work way late, I had to really ride hard and fast so I could catch the bus on time (the bus arrives at 8:08pm if it is on time, not early or late). I was about eight miles from the bus station to catch the bus I needed to take. On average if I am riding at normal speed, it would take me 37 to 40 minutes just for the distance...extra five or so minutes for any stops at red lights. I had to be at the bus stop by no later than 8:05pm so I could have a few minutes to take my stuff off of my bike and carry with me onto the bus. In record time, I did eight miles in 33 minutes which included many red lights and got to the bus station at 8:03pm! It also helped that the bus was three minutes late and I was glad for this. My legs really burned from trying so hard to be on time for the bus and I was getting so mad at all the red lights that I got caught at because there was less traffic after 7pm (there is a little more traffic going to work so I get a few more green lights).
Anyway, I am not sure if I will be running tomorrow morning. If it is overcast, perhaps I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment