Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 23: Day 1

strength training:
  • lower body + abs/back (@ 7am)
    • jump rope ("warm up") = 5 sets of 3 min jumping + 1 min rest in between
    • stairmasters = 10 minutes
    • squats on bosu ball = 2 sets x 15 reps x 30lbs (one dumbell)
    • planks on forearms = 2 sets x 1 minute hold
    • leg raises on stability ball = 2 sets x 15 reps
    • one leg squats = 2 sets x 15 reps x 40lbs (two 20lb dumbells)
    • jack knives = 2 sets x 20 reps
    • toe reach = 2 sets x 20 reps
    • wall sits = 2 sets x 1 minute hold
    • side bends = 2 sets x 15 reps x 20lbs (one dumbell)
    • hip aBductors (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 180lbs
    • hip aDductors (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 180lbs
    • calf extensions (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 140lbs
    • prone leg curls (weight machne) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 55lbs
    • back extensions (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 110lbs
    • leg presses (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 345lbs
    • leg curls (weight machine) = 2 sets x 15 reps x 65lbs
cardio:
My abs are sore! I've just rediscovered an exercise that I can do. It looks easy and the movement is easy. Doing the leg raises/lifts on a stability ball is so much harder to do than on the floor or doing hanging leg raises. You really do use your core muscles to lift your legs up...not like the ground leg lifts or hanging leg raises. It only works if you are holding onto something that's anchored to the ground or is heavier than you are. 

I saw another customer doing this exercise last week and I decided that I wanted to try it. I tried this exercise once a long time ago, but I didn't have a heavy or anchored object to hold onto. It looked hard and it was! I think that customer started a trend with this exercise because another customer saw me doing it, he tried it (thought it was a great exercise!) and somehow another customer decided to do them after him too!

Now I'm worried about pilates class tomorrow morning. We do a good handful of abs exercises, and I know that I won't be able to do them as well as I used to because my abs will still be sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment