Friday, September 11, 2020

Week 36: Day 5 - 11 September 2020

  •  morning run = 5.58 miles; time = 1:19:24; average pace @ 14:14
    • warm-up on rollers = 2 miles; time = 9:29; average speed @ 12.7mph
  • walked dogs = 2.6 miles total
I got an email today that the Firecracker Run/Bike events for 2021 had become a virtual event where participation could be done anytime between December 1 2020 and March 07, 2021 (there will be no live events where people "get together" and run or ride bikes together). I am disappointed by this because I really am not interested in doing virtual events. If I'm going to pay for a bib, a shirt and a finisher's medal, I want to be surrounded by a bunch of people. I sign up for these things (one to two 10k and one half marathon a year) so I can feed off of other people's energy and I won't get bored of running alone for the rest of the year. I started doing the Firecracker 10k Run in 2009, 2011, and every year starting in 2013 (I missed out on 2010 and 2012 and I can't tell you why). I started doing the Firecracker 20 mile ride every year starting in 2015. I didn't do the bike last year and did the 40 mile this year.

When I got an email about the Long Beach Marathon being canceled (it was supposed to have been in three weeks), the email said that I could defer to next year, do a virtual event or transfer to another event. The other events that I could remember was the Santa Barbara Marathon (November 2020 most likely will be canceled) or the Surf City (Huntington Beach) Marathon in Feburary 07. I didn't think that the Surf City Marathon would be canceled - I have done this event before...I just don't want to do it this time around - but I think it will get canceled if the Firecracker run/ride did (the Firecracker run/ride is usually after the Surf City marathon).

No comments:

Post a Comment