- walked dogs = 2.6 miles total
- solo ride = 16.02 miles; time = 1:17:30; average speed @ 12.4 mph
My original plan was to do a 24 mile ride up a street through Covina and Glendora to the bottom of Glendora Mountain Road (or GMR as us cyclists call it for short which is considered "the best cycling road"). I know I can map out the ride and look at the elevation profile from a website, but that usually doesn't really help me understand elevation profile unless I actually go do the ride. I was curious to know how hilly (or not hilly) the street was. Eventually, I want to go up GMR, starting from my house for a 42 mile roundtrip ride. I didn't get very far because I got a flat. The street was dirty with metal/plastic debris. I was worried that I would get a flat farther away from home and I didn't want to get stranded. I wanted to finish my ride and didn't want to worry about someone in a car coming to pick me up for a ride. So I turned around and finished my ride.
I went to Jax Bicycle today before they closed at 5pm. They were busy, but of course, today was Saturday. Someone arrived after me because he had two flats on his bike. He needed help changing out the flats because he didn't have tubes or tools to fix his flats. When he saw me asking a sales associate that I needed new tubes, he was surprised that I knew how to change a flat. This sounds like someone who is new to cycling...because anyone who rides bikes should know how to change flat and always carry spares and tools in case they get a flat during a ride. I don't want to call an uber or a family member to give me a ride home and AAA won't help me with a flat on a bike because they only help car drivers.
No comments:
Post a Comment