Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Week 19: Day 03 - May 10, 2017

  • hilly trail run (solo) = 3.55 miles; time = 42:13; average pace @ 11:53
  • easy walk with dogs = 2.6 miles
I went for a run on a hilly trail that I normally would do while training for a half marathon I hadn't done this trail since December when I was training for a December half marathon (I also didn't have strava at the time). When I did this run last time, I almost made it to the top. I ended up taking a rest break 200 feet before getting to the top...my legs couldn't finish the last 200 feet. There is a street off to one side of this trail to which I ride my bike on...that street has a hill with an 11% grade. Both my run and ride come out on a different street on the other side of the trail (going up this street has a hill with a 9% grade). I hadn't done any riding on the hill with the 11% grade in two weeks, but all those efforts of trying to go up that hill had helped my running so much. I didn't use strava to record my run back in December, but I did use that today. The grade was 10% and I made it to the very top without stopping! The hill is 1.4 mile long from bottom to top. So this means that if I should continue to ride up the hill with an 11% grade when I train for a half marathon. I generally pick flat half marathons, but I will feel so much stronger and maybe faster too.

I haven't done on bike ride on this trail because I don't have mountain bike tires and the trail has lots of rocks that can easily give me a flat. I didn't take my dog with me on this run because of the rocks...although she would have been okay? I could tell that other people bring their dogs on this trail because they didn't pick up after their dogs. (I've been lucky that I haven't step on anything bad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment