Saturday, March 19, 2016

Week 11: Day 6 - March 19, 2016

  • bike commute to work = 15.8 miles
  • easy walk with dogs = 2 miles
I had every intentions to ride/cycle to work. It should have been a 36 to 37 mile ride round trip. My bike got a flat tire (it didn't get punctured, but it had a leak) three miles away from work. My tire wasn't 100% inflated and I did think about inflating it before heading out, but I thought it would be ok to ride. I should have listen to myself. Good thing I was about three miles from work and my boss was cool enough to pick me up. I couldn't finish the rest of the way and I couldn't ride home because I didn't have a spare tube or any tools to change or patch up a flat tire. It was a nice day for a ride and I had two hours of daylight after work (I got off at 5pm), so I wouldn't have to ride in the dark. I only need an hour and half to ride. Since today was Saturday, there were less cars out. During the week, there would be more cars out on my way to work and I would have to "fight" them. I also got off at 7pm and it would get dark by 7:15pm, and I don't like to ride in the dark. There is one narrow two-lane (one lane for each direction) street that I would have to use to get home and it had very, very few street lights. I couldn't avoid using this street because it was the most direct way to get home unless I wanted to add 15 to 20 miles to my route to use a different way to get home. Taking a train is out of the question because the route between work and home is going north and south and there are no trains going north/south. Public buses is an option, but I would have to take four or five buses and about three hours to get home. I can get home faster on a bike because the commute is half that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment